The Township has a practice of removing the beaver dam at the outlet of Wasi Lake every fall; aiming for the first couple of weeks in October. This practice was put in place to build capacity for the spring thaw and mitigate the flooding and erosion of multiple roads to the south of the Lake.
DISCLAIMER: The links and content on this page are for information purposes only and may not be the opinion of the Township of Chisholm staff and/or Council. Any questions about these resources should be directed to the creator of the content and not the municipal office.
Visit the link below for information on Ice Safety.
FISHERIES AND OCEANS
- Fish and Fish Habitat Protection Program 1-855-852-8320
- Beaver Dams - Fisheries and Oceans “Interim code of practice: beaver dam removal” https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pnw-ppe/codes/beaver-dam-barrage-castor-eng.html
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Forest Fire
- Hunting and Fishing
- Ontario’s Invading Species Awareness Program is a partnership between the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF), and the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH).
- Report Invasive Plant Species 1-800-563-7711 or visit https://www.invadingspecies.com/
Last Confirmed Blue Green Algae in Wasi Lake:
- August 3, 2023.
Links to more information
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit
Blooms can come and go throughout the season. If a test confirms presence of Blue-Green Algae, signs are posted at the beach and boat launch to inform swimmers that there could be a bloom present.
For more information visit:
Ministry of the Environment
- If you suspect an algae bloom on the lake you can report it to the Spills Action Centre. The Ministry of the Environment will come out and take a sample to be tested for Blue-Green Algae. The Ministry will send the Township the results. It is important to know that once there is a confirmed Blue-Green Algae Bloom, the ministry will not come out and sample the lake again. For more details on Algae blooms visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/blue-green-algae
- Your Shoreline - http://muskokawaterweb.ca/images/dfo/ShorePrimer-English.pdf
- Algae in Ontario https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/health-topics/harmful-algae.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2jnPHSs2nigTRliY6wB-R7Z0VGUMI37p2m9ngLMlHqMeIQPjxTWeRxevk or https://loveyourlake.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Algae-in-Ontario-Final-1.pdf